Bookends is a full-featured bibliography/reference and information-management system for students and professionals.
Access the power of Bookends directly from Mellel, Nisus Writer Pro, or MS Word (including Word 2011): Bookends allows you to scan your existing word-processor files and automatically generate finished manuscripts with properly formatted bibliographies. You can also scan Apple Pages ’08, ’09, and 5, and OpenOffice 3 files, or RTF files saved from any word processor.
Bookends allows you to share your references over the Internet with anyone, on any platform. And with Bookends, you can directly search and import references from numerous sources:
- Web of Science
- Google Scholar
- Library of Congress
- and hundreds of other online sources.
Or use a built-in browser to download references with PDF’s and/or Web pages. Also, with automatic searches of PubMed, you can discover articles as soon as they’re published. Bookends allows for powerful group-based searches, with static, smart, and virtual groups.
Bookends also offers a robust assortment of file attachment features:
- Attach any file (such as a PDF) to a reference and view or open it instantly.
- Automatically rename and organize PDF files on-the-fly.
- Automatically download and attach the PDF of an article from the Internet if you have access permission.
- Automatically locate and attach PDF’s on your hard drive.
Sync your library with Bookends On Tap on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch, so that you have your references and PDF’s with you, wherever you are.
- SelThe maximum number of columns in the reference list has been increased to 10
- Bookends has been updated to use modern file system APIs - Because of this, there is a change in the way file names with slashes are handled. The names are now stored with slashes replaced by colons. When you open an older library in 13.4.6. or later the conversion of existing attachments names will be done for you automatically. Note that means if you open such a library in a version of Bookends prior to 13.4.6 attachments with slashes in their names will not be found.
- Improved Bookends Browser handling of PDFs
- This should result in faster downloads and better compatibility with proxy servers.
- Faster reference navigation when the edit pane is visible
- Updated automated download of PDFs from ScienceDirect to deal with changes made by the publisher
- Improved the appearance of lists
- Safeguards put in place to prevent Bookends Browser from hanging when validating DOIs if Crossref requests time out
- Updated unscanning of Nisus Writer Pro documents to deal with changes made in Nisus Writer Pro 3.1
- Improvements in Wi-Fi sync
- Bookends treats files with the extension of .org as text files for the purpose of scanning
- Bug fixes
- Fixed a bug that could cause an error message when closing the library window. Reduced cursor flicker when mousing over a PDF. The width of field labels adjusts to the width of the label text, ensuring that clicks on labels on the right don't open the enlarged window for the field on the left when the edit pane is very narrow. Fixed an error that prevented some users from opening the Registration Window. Fixed a problem when attaching some PDFs from JSTOR where the publisher's name was promised but was actually missing. Fixed problems in unscanning documents in which citations had non-default styles.
OS X 10.9 or later, 64-bit processor