TextExpander (was Textpander) is a customizable typing shortcut tool that saves time and keystrokes. With TextExpander, you can define abbreviations for frequently-used text strings and images, also known as snippets. When an abbreviation is typed, it expands automatically to the full snippet.
Here are a few examples for what you can do with TextExpander:
- Insert standard greetings, phrases, boilerplate paragraphs, and signatures – including formatted text and pictures.
- Correct typos automatically
- Organize snippets into groups
- Add predefined snippet groups, including HTML, CSS, Autocorrect, Accented Words, and Symbols groups.
- Shorten long URLs automatically with the Internet Productivity snippet group
- Insert the current date and time in any format you prefer.
- Sync snippets via MobileMe
TextExpander is controlled from its own preference pane inside your System Preferences. Designed for easy handling, TextExpander blends in perfectly with your operating system.
- Adds popover to resolve snippet abbreviation conflicts
- Duplicate snippets are drawn with blue abbreviation (vs. orange for conflicts)
- Supports Cut, Copy and Paste to manipulate snippets in the outline, including in the contextual menu
- Change the "Purchase / Update…" menu item to "Review Registration…" if already registered
- Adds "expand abbreviation ''" syntax to AppleScript expand command
- Updates approach to fixing TextExpander icon appearing twice in the Dock upon restart
- Attempts to fix an issue where expanding a snippet abbreviation into the OmniFocus Quick Entry window could sometimes send the first backspace keystroke to the previously active application
- Fixes crash when expanding a snippet containing invalid %key% macro, invalid %fill… macros, or ending with an invalid date math macro
- Restores support for %j day-of-year macro
- Fixes crash when attempting to Copy a snippet in the snippets and groups list
- Fixes crash when manipulating Group expansion sound if overall expansion sound preference had never been changed/set
- Fixes issue where using "Create New Snippet" from the TextExpander menu item, setting an abbreviation, then clicking "Open TextExpander" could result in a new snippet which might not expand until TextExpander is restarted
- Pre-fill name and email address into crash report window when available
- Fixes problem where application checked by using "Other…" in "Only These Applications…" or "All Applications, Except…" window would be lost if the app check list was edited later
Intel, OS X 10.7 or later